Re: [Web Crypto WG] draft Web Crypto WG charter : for your review and comments

Wendy -- thank you for the clarification. Makes sense.

What we were trying to communicate is that -- FIDO is not the same as
secure hardware. FIDO can run on secure hardware.  FIDO is on the same
level as a security applet (speaking smart card language here). There are
other security applets such as PKCS15, EMV-Visa, EMV-Mastercard,
EMV-UnionPay, EMV-Amex, EMV-Discover (etc), CAC/PIV and all the methods
that the Governments from Europe represented at the workshop. We would like
the web community to consider a framework that is generic to support any
past, present, and future security applets. It is possible and it can be
done. E.g. Apple Pay supports 3 different EMV security applets -- one from
Visa, another one from Mastercard and a third from Amex.

So, for the web, we would propose (attached is a starting point) something
that would support everything including FIDO. I and the rest of the smart
card community is not against FIDO, we are in general against web
supporting only FIDO.

Best regards,
Siva

*--*

*Siva G. Narendra Ph.D. CEO - Tyfone, Inc.Portland | Bangalore |
Taipeiwww.tyfone.com <http://www.tyfone.com>*
*Voice: +1.661.412.2233*