Re: [WebCrypto.Next] Linking web identities with real-world identities

On 2015-02-14 11:31, Dave Raggett wrote:

>> On 13 Feb 2015, at 21:22, Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com <mailto:michael.oneill@baycloud.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I agree that an identity verification protocol based on explicit consent should be a standard component of the web platform, but I think it should be designed so there would no need for a fixed “real-world” identity.
>>
>> The third-party entities could validate an arbitrary set of attributes, some of which may identify a legal person i.e. passport or birth certificate, but others could be anonymous attributes such as membership of a club, a child’s age, an anonymous audience category, or any attribute that the parties need and agree to without the necessity to inform any of the parties, including the validating parties, of other identifying attributes.
>
> These refer to additional use cases, e.g. to prove that I am a child for access to a safe site for children.  I would encourage you to describe the use cases, since this is important for justifying work on a standard. There are no major technical barriers to pseudo-anonymous identity verification, so this is mostly about consensus building.
>
> I built a demo for this kind of approach some years back around a use case where you need to prove you are a current student at a given university to gain access to a site run by students for students. The demo uses a Firefox extension for idemix. More details are given at:
>
> http://people.w3.org/~dsr/blog/?p=95 <http://people.w3.org/%7Edsr/blog/?p=95>

This is an interesting example because it uses a browser-specific extension which I believe also has ceased to work (java) which again points to the need for a real (W3C) standard for extending browsers through calls to native applications.   Building on such a standard makes it much more realistic creating new standards of the kind you are interested in.