Re: [W3C Web Crypto WG] Rechartering discussion - Gemalto contribution

Hi Siva,

I think it is up to Gemalto showing how they could "Apple Pay" using their
proposal.

Anders

On Feb 2, 2015 10:19 PM, "Siva Narendra" <siva@tyfone.com> wrote:

> Yes, Apple Pay is an application that uses EMV Tokenization running on a
GP compliant smart card secure element. Web architecture that would enable
an Application A that uses a Security Applet S running on a Hardware secure
element H is what we should enable. For example one could say -- A = BofA
App, S = FIDO, H = Yubikey NEO.

> Attached is that proposal that would allow for flexibility in A, S, and
H. Not just in A and H.

anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi Siva,
>> Apple Pay is an application.
>>
>> There's no application in Gemalto's presentation since they (apparently)
believe that the merchant by definition is trusted for directly accessing
the card.

>> This is a downright horrible assumption and would never pass EMVCo
certification either.

>> Regards
>> Anders
>>
>> On Feb 2, 2015 9:29 PM, "Siva Narendra" <siva@tyfone.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Anders. While traditional EMV on GP Smart Card does not easily
allow for it, that is exactly what EMV Tokenization enables. Apple Pay
implements EMV Tokenization on a GP Smart Card chip. Google Wallet can
leverage EMV Tokenization independent of Apple for the same credit card
number. And so can other independent GP hardware. Similar to Tokenization
for EMV, atleast in the US even the government standards for CAC/PIV
recently released what is called as Derived Credential. This space is
rapidly evolving and we shouldn't get tied up with one approach such as
FIDO assuming rest of the world will adopt it.

>> > Best,
>> > Siva
>> >

>> > --
>> > Siva G. Narendra Ph.D.
>> > CEO - Tyfone, Inc.
>> > Portland | Bangalore | Taipei
>> > www.tyfone.com
>> > Voice: +1.661.412.2233

still don't understand how you could perform EMV-like payments using the
posted proposals unless you bind the EMV-token to a single domain and used
some kind of IFRAME+postMessage() arrangement which is [sort of] FIDO
anyway.

they BTW to date have had more than three years to carry out):

they will rather "call" their Apple Pay wallet application from the web
which is a MUCH better idea than (which already has been said), trying to
shoehorn in legacy stuff that never was designed for the [UNTRUSTED] web:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto-comments/2015Jan/0000.html

makers on global platform (GP) hardware is absolutely true, but that is not
the complete story.

tokens, NFC tokens, BTLE tokens support GP security through smart card
secure elements and that is not controlled by the carriers or device
makers. These solutions are becoming more common.

elements in its devices. This was possible only because several companies
already built such standards (GP) based secure elements and devices, for
use with the web, even though web did not standardize its interfacing to
such hardware.

hardware security, just like FIDO based application developers can.

supports hardware security, that it be generic to support further
innovation and not be limited to FIDO.

It's that I think the proposed solution in front of us is absolutely
terrible for users, innovators, and the future of the Web.

WebCrypto would be managed by the GlobalPlatform/TEE model.  This is the
model in which only specially signed code installed on your device, in a
way that is by-design exclusive and limited, could talk to end-user crypto
devices, even general-purpose ones.

(even more) privileged position to decide which applications users can
access on the Web.  Nothing you want to do involving a cryptographically
strong authentication, payment, identity, etc. could happen without a prior
business arrangement between that entity and the entities in control of
your device.

a powerful weapon against consumer choice and disruptive innovation because
it is already here.  Look at the mobile  payments space where a similar
model gateways installation of apps and access to handset hardware crypto.
Handset makers pay have exclusive deals only with some banks, or only with
one bank.  They retaliate against payment providers that dare to launch
features on rival platforms.  Merchants deny users the choice of payment
providers through compatible APIs because they want to launch their own
system.  Disruptive innovators like bitcoin wallets are denied access to
the platform entirely.

always the Web to fall back to.  That the Web has been so powerful in
creating value for people and the global economy is in no small way
attributable to its being an open platform for innovation that has mostly
managed to avoid this kind of Balkanization.

strong cryptographic services is premised on side-channel arrangements
between powerful organizations instead of user choice, it will be a
disaster for users and for the Web.  To paraphrase an apocryphal quote by
Admiral Yamomoto, there will be rent-seeking behind every blade of grass,
as my access to banking, health care, payments, shopping, secure
communications, and more are determined not by my free choice in a
competitive market (or which URL I choose to browse to), but by which
player in each industry is willing to pay the most to my mobile network
provider and/or handset manufacturer for exclusive access to their
customers.

access is not an acceptable answer - the technologies of the Open Web
Platform should encourage competition and innovation by default, not only
with permission and legislation.

PHoyer@hidglobal.com>
karen.lu@gemalto.com>, "public-web-security@w3.org" <
public-web-security@w3.org>, "public-webcrypto@w3.org" <
public-webcrypto@w3.org>, GALINDO Virginie <Virginie.Galindo@gemalto.com>,
Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>

resources used on the web, in particular those that are not web-originated,
such as the tokens we’re talking about here. Just consider WebRTC, and the
access it gives to the (uniquely identifying) user voice: does this means
that WebRTC should be banned from the web? On a different aspect, is your
geolocation protected by SOP?

control mechanism for the hardware tokens. Without assuming a priori that
“hardware will need to be adapted”, but not necessarily excluding it
(although we’re actually talking about software changes here…).

public-webcrypto@w3.org; GALINDO Virginie; Wendy Seltzer

Web security model as our first principle to build on, and hardware will
need to be adapted to and find ways to operate within that model.  That is
what, e.g. FIDO has done.

legacy hardware devices that were never designed for the web environment
must be supported, and finding ways to shoehorn them into browser APIs,
with the best excuse being that the "damage is already done" by things like
ActiveX.  We've spent a long time walking back the mistakes of ActiveX, I'd
not like to backtrack.

is more important that we consider the priorities of the user in having a
web that isn't authenticating and cross-linking them in a cryptographically
strong manner without their consent, and that whatever devices they do
purchase or have provisioned to them are able to be used in an open, safe
and privacy-respecting manner.

want to leverage their existing investment in billions of legacy devices
already in the hands of the user, but I just don't think those concerns
outweigh doing what is best for users and taking security on the web
forward instead of backwards.

these devices is to say that it is managed on your behalf through back-room
arrangements between your bank, government, handset provider and network
carrier, acting in their interests first and without your consent, (I.e.
GlobalPlatform / TEE solution in which your hardware token can only talk to
signed applications "approved" by someone else) that isn't good enough, and
goes against the entire open innovation model that's made the web a success.

karen.lu@gemalto.com>, "public-web-security@w3.org" <
public-web-security@w3.org>, "public-webcrypto@w3.org" <
public-webcrypto@w3.org>, GALINDO Virginie <Virginie.Galindo@gemalto.com>,
Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>

issued eIDs are being used on the web and with web applications.

that breaks privacy or security we are already in a world where this
happens.

willing experts in the field to find a solution that is

developers have to wrestle with java / activX plugins potentially putting
other web apps accessed by the same browser at risk due to security lapses
in the plugins
to increase privacy and security of the existing solution especially as we
have mindshare of the browser development community

but is a WG not exactly the right place to do this?

how this kind of API would or could interact with the Same-Origin mod

Virginie.Galindo@gemalto.com>, "public-webcrypto@w3.org" <
public-webcrypto@w3.org>
Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>
Gemalto   contribution

could interact with the Same-Origin model of web security, specifically:

crypto elements and discoverable keys which are not Origin-scoped not
create privacy violations?

impersonation of the server-side of a transaction, and potential abuse of a
globally-scope key mitigated by  this kind of API design?

Web security and threat model, I think it is inappropriate to proceed.  We
can't just throw away the fundamental security model that billions of users
and deployed applications depend on, and I see no evidence (at least in
these few slides) that such issues have been considered by this proposal.

public-webcrypto@w3.org" <public-webcrypto@w3.org>
Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>
Gemalto contribution

to prepare the next charter of Web Crypto.

https://www.w3.org/Security/wiki/IG/webcryptonext_draft_charter
expose your opinion and question on the public-webcrypto@w3.org or
public-webcrypto-comment@w3.org (for non W3C Web Crypto WG members).

addressees and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use
or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.
transmission free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for damages
caused by a transmitted virus.

addressees and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use
or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.
transmission free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for damages
caused by a transmitted virus.

addressees and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use
or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.
transmission free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for damages
caused by a transmitted virus

to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. Thank you.