Re: [Web Crypto Next] Lets start discussing !

On 2014-11-06 09:43, helpcrypto helpcrypto wrote:
> Hi
>

> Anders: as you seem to have the decisive voice in here, since our last talk, what has changed?

Hi helpcrypto,

I have no decisive power here, I only aired my opinion and have also tried (in vain so far...) making folks aware of the quite different projects that are on the table.
Combining these projects is something I wouldn't do since for example ISO 7816 and the WebCrypto API have no clear relationship.

> As you know, I'm of the opinion that is better to keep smartcards as secure elements where keys can be stored, than throwing all to the recycle bin.
> In our case we have a JavaCard, so we could even stablish a mutual trust channel between server and card for population process. Older cards are probably a bigger problem ;)
> It's true that PKI doesnt support "key usages for specific domains", something FIDO does. Does anyone know a way to implement this using traditional PKI?
>
> Can you imagine/describe a secure/valid scenario where smartcards are one possible secure keystore for a PKI cert, being possible to auth+sign documents using Javascript? (do it with all the effort/strengh of your imagination!!!)

I'm probably not the right person to ask...since we IMO are still waiting for a credible write-up on how to use EMV-cards on the web which seems like a suitable task for the card industry.

It appears that Microsoft may be on to something that could be useful for you:
http://www.w3.org/2014/10/30-crypto-minutes.html

Cheers
Anders