Re: Signed Javascript

On Dec 17, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

> On 12/17/2013 10:28 PM, Richard Barnes wrote:
>> On the one hand, this is a “turtles all the way down” problem.  If you’re going to verify JS with WebCrypto, you need to have JS to do the verification, and how does that get verified.
>>
>> On the other hand, if you do have clean verification JS, it seems like you could do this with JWS / WebCrypto very simply.
>>
>> var jws = {
>>     “unprotected”: { “alg”: “RS256”, “jwk”: { ... } },
>>     “payload”: “... base64-encoded JavaScript ...”,
>>     “signature”: “..."
>> };
>>
>> var valid = jose.verify(jws);
>> /* Check that the key is one you trust */
>
> It's exactly how we determine "what key is one we trust" in that comment where we need work :)

Really?  I thought that would just be something like “in a cert that chains to a trust anchor”.

In any case, if you load your scripts over HTTPS, there’s no additional security here.  Either way, you’re assured that you got the script from the guy on the other end of the connection.  What WebAppSec is doing (IIRC), is providing the web app loading the library a *countersignature*, which is directly opposed to the idea of upgradeability (since the countersignature won’t validate on the upgraded library).

--Richard