Richard.

The TLS client certificate approach seems interesting, thank you

I investigated binding cookies to the client IP, but that would require encrypting the cookie along with the client IP stored within it.  That would still leave users behind a proxy or NAT vulnerable, and I have reports that client IPs may change.  The IP changing feature occurs for a small but significant (less than 10%?) of my site's users.

From: Richard L. Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com>
To: Enduro USA Tour <endurousatour@yahoo.com>
Cc: "public-web-security@w3.org" <public-web-security@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 10:25 AM
Subject: Re:

There's some related work proposed in the IETF TLS working group.  The idea there is to bind cookies to TLS client certificates, so as long as the private key corresponding to the cert is only on one machine, the cookie can only be used on one machine.
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-balfanz-tls-obc-01>

Of course, you could also just associate cookies with a client IP addresses on the server side...