Re: CSP and default policies

Hi. I was just wondering, what if there is an "enable-default-restrictions"
directive for your blacklist model? Sites that are willing to take the risk
of always applying new restrictions may specify this directive once and for
all. "Default restrictions" might change due to browser
implementation. Other sites that don't want to take this risk may specify
only the directives (specific restrictions) he likes. Is this a bad idea?

David Huang

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Brandon Sterne <bsterne@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Hello public-web-security,
>
> There is still an open question as to the set of restrictions that
> should be enabled by default in CSP.  Jeff H. pointed it out and linked
> to some relevant posts here:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-security/2011Feb/0145.html
>
> Collin made a good point in saying "it should be possible to send a
> frame-ancestors directive without implicitly also changing how
> javascript URLs work."
>
> The "empty policy" that was being discussed in that context is not
> actually the tricky case.  Enough of us are content to make the empty
> policy a no-op as to sidestep this particular issue.  Take the case,
> though, of a policy with no known directives.  What restrictions should
> be enabled there?  So, the question is not "what should we do with an
> empty policy?", but "when do the default restrictions kick in?" Without
> them there is no XSS protection, after all.
>
> Answers to this question include:
> 1. when any directive is specified
> 2. when script-src or object-src is specified
>
> 1 and 2 can be thought of fundamentally as a "whitelist" and a
> "blacklist", respectively, from the perspective of XSS mitigation.
> There are various advantages and drawbacks to each approach which I've
> tried to catalog below.  This group needs to decide now which
> fundamental approach is used in Content Security Policy.
>
> 1. Whitelist model
>   Defined: Default restrictions are enabled when any directive is
>     specified. Nothing is allowed unless explicitly allowed in the
>     policy
>
>   Pro:
>   - never be surprised by a feature being added to browsers that your
>     policy doesn't restrict
>   - enables an "optimal policy" development strategy by starting
>     with an empty policy and adding incrementally until site "works"
>   - more secure "average policy" since XSS protections will be
>     enabled more frequently
>
>   Con:
>   - be surprised by a change to the semantics of an existing
>     directive
>   - be surprised by a change to default restrictions
>   - coupling between base restrictions and potentially unrelated
>     directives
>
> 2. Blacklist model
>   Defined: Base restrictions only apply when a script-y directive is
>     specified. Other restrictions are only applied when additional
>     directives are specified.
>
>   Pro:
>   - never surprised by change to default restrictions (there are
>     none)
>
>   Con:
>   - be surprised by a change to the semantics of an existing
>     directive
>   - be surprised by a new feature added to browsers that your policy
>     doesn't restrict

  - less secure "average policy" since copy/pasting another site's