Re: [XHR] XMLHttpRequest specification lacks security considerations

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:01:12 +0100, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org> wrote:
> With apologies for the belated Last Call comment -- the XMLHttpRequest
> specification
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
>
> ... doesn't have meaningful security considerations.

I actually removed that section altogether in the editors draft.

> Section 3 should at the very least spell out:
>
> - Somewhat detailed considerations around CONNECT, TRACE, and TRACK
> (flagged in the text of the specification, but not called out in the
> security section; 4.6.1).

What is the reason for duplicating this information?

> - Considerations around DNS rebinding.

Why would these be specific to XMLHttpRequest?

> - Some explanation for the "security reasons" that are mentioned in
> section 4.6.2 (setRequestHeader).

Maybe removing "security reasons" would be better? Providing rationale for
each part of the specification would make it very big.

> - The rationale for the handling of HTTP redirects in section 4.6.4.

I agree that this should be clarified, though I do not see why it should
be mentioned in a separate section as well.

> - The fact that this specification normatively defines the same-origin
> policy as it applies to network access within browsers (section 4.6.1;
> though that mostly refers to HTML5 these days)

It does not define the policy. It just uses it.

> Related to this, what is the rationale for making the following
> (explicitly security-relevant) conformance clauses SHOULD, not MUST?
>
> ** 4.6.1
>
> If method is a case-sensitive match for CONNECT, TRACE, or TRACK the
> user agent should raise a SECURITY_ERR exception and terminate these
> steps.
>
> If the origin of url is not same origin with the XMLHttpRequest origin
> the user agent should raise a SECURITY_ERR exception and terminate these
> steps.
>
> ** 4.6.2
>
> For security reasons, these steps should be terminated if header is an
> ASCII case-insensitive match for one of the following headers:

Early on we agreed that all security-relevant conformance clauses should
be SHOULD and not MUST so that implementors could ignore them in specific
contexts. E.g. extensions. I would personally be fine with making these
MUST.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/