Re: Seamless iframes + CSS3 selectors = bad idea

On Dec 5, 2009, at 10:27 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I think the attack is that you can inject CSS in an unwilling victim
> page by embedding it in a seamless iframe (since CSS rules are
> supposed to cascade into the iframe's contained document per HTML5).
> However, since the contents of a seamless iframe have to be same-
> origin, the embedding page could just script it directly. Thus, I'm
> not sure what the vulnerability is. It's not safe to put a page on a
> given origin that contains data which must not be leaked to other
> pages on that origin. If anyone does that, then violating their
> mistaken assumption is not XSS. It does seem slightly novel that one
> page in a given origin could extract data from another on that same
> origin even if JavaScript is disabled.

OK, I thought of a possible real vulnerability. A trusted host page on
the site wants to embed some untrusted user-generated content with the
ability to modify it, so it embeds it, hosted from its own server,
using <iframe sandbox="allow-same-origin">. This should prevent
scripting and plugins, so in theory it seems safe. But the untrusted
content could embed a further iframe with the seamless flag, embedding
an arbitrary document from the hosting service. It can then use CSS
selectors to probe for data in that document.

Regards,
Maciej