Re: Microsoft seeks XML-related patents

Hi Richard,

I think the following link is related:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/ip/format/xmlpatentlicense.asp

It appears Microsoft is trying to protect their Office XML "Schema"
design.

The Schema License is free, under conditions, so I think they're just
trying to prevent "un-licensed" applications from reading and writing
Office XML documents.

Most XML Schemas and/or Vocabularies are free and open - to a point.
Microsoft is probably just trying to make sure they're in charge of the
Schema, and not another Office style application from other sources.

Doesn't surprise me, I bet it's not too long before others (read: not
Microsoft) take similar measures to protect their XML Schemas as
Intellectual Property.

XML is a method of representing information, much like coloured paint is
for representing expression and images in a painting.

You can't patent colours, but you can patent/copyright ownership of what
you paint.

Of course, I could be totally out to lunch...and not understand a word of
what I'm reading. I'm a programmer, not a lawyer :-P

Thanks for the link. Cheers....

Scott Cadillac,
XML-Extranet - http://xmlx.ca
403-281-6090 - scott@xmlx.ca
--
Well-formed Programming in C# .NET, Witango, MSIE and XML