RE: Ray Ozzie claims prior art in Lotus Notes

From: Steve Brimley <steve.brimley@toplev.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:01:28 +0100
To: "'Jerry Mead'" <jerrym@meadroid.com>
Cc: "'W3C: Public Web Plugins List'" <public-web-plugins@w3.org>

Dear Jerry

I read your article on the work done in Lotus notes.

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the patent refers explicitly to
objects that occupy a display area within the containing hypermedia
document.  What the application seems to have in mind is interactively
controllable objects that will appear as an integral part of the document -
moving and scrolling with the document as necessary.

Here is (part of) the text of the application:

to automatically invoke said executable application to execute on said
client workstation in order to display said object and enable interactive
processing of said object within a display area created at said first
location within the portion of said first distributed hypermedia document
being displayed in said first browser-controlled window
<<<<<<

As far as I could see from your illustrations, the Lotus Notes
implementation did not include this refinement.