Re: If MS pulls plug-in support, who do I sue

I was discussing the patent with a friend of mine last night (one of the
smartest people I've ever met).

I mentioned the catch-22 MS is in: if they argue that software patents need
revision, and win, several of their own patents will likely be voided, and
they'll be prevented from patenting several things they might otherwise
patent in the future.  My friend argued that this isn't a problem.

Sure it is, I said.  MS uses their patent portfolio to support their market
dominance.

My friend then pointed out something crucial: the existence of Windows
*guarantees* Microsoft's market dominance in the forseeable future, and the
strongest thing they have on their side is their reputation for financial
success.  Anyone with a good business mind would bet that MS will continue
to be profitable for a long time coming.

The point is, MS doesn't need their patent portfolio to maintain their
dominant market position.  Companies like Apple, IBM, Be, and Sun have shown
time and time again that it takes much more than a competitive (or even
superior) computing product to topple MS.  Let's imagine that all MS patents
are voided, and they never get another.  What does that mean?  Anyone with
the requisite skill may create software products that work *as well as* MS
products.  I fail to see how such a product could expect to do any better
than the superior products that already exist.

-Jake