Re: Microsoft benefits a lot by loosing (?)

From: Reza Roboubi <reza@requestfinder.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:24:31 -0700
Cc: 'W3C Public Web Plugins List' <public-web-plugins@w3.org>

"Richard M. Smith" wrote:

> Microsoft already controls the browser market with an estimated 95%
> share.
>
> Trust me, Microsoft has no desire to give Eolas a half a billion
> dollars.
>
> Richard

Yes.  You're absolutely right Richard.  But how does MS do that?  In
large part due to it's proprietary features, which are furthered by
it's monopolistic grip.  Don't you agree?

MS does not achieve it's market share by being standards compliant.
It thrives on being a monopoly, and standards (such as imposed by W3C)
are the beginning of the end, as far as monopolies go.  Recent court
rulings force MS to discontinue MSJ, and Sun is free as a bird to
distribute it's Java plug-in to Unix, Linux, and any other OS
competing with Windows.  The courts _force_ MS to allow Sun, to
distribute it's competing Java to IE.  MS, for the first time,
has NO more options left, but to comply, or face breakup.

This patent ruling just seems like the best thing that could happen to
MS, and it comes _just_ at the right time.  It feels like a free
license, by the courts of law themselves, to go ahead and monopolize.

And so what if Sun thinks it can object? At the pace courts move, by
the time they sort out what Sun is screaming about, MS will have left
nothing of Java but the feathers.

Do you guys think MS is in love with what W3C stands for?  I just
find that very hard (or impossible) to believe given MS's track
record.

--
Reza