Which patent sub-sections can stand alone?

From: Reza Roboubi <reza@requestfinder.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 23:19:06 -0700
To: public-web-plugins@w3.org

This patent seems to be extremely broad.  It is very difficult to
think of work-arounds, without knowing how the patent system works.
Most of you guys aren't patent lawyers, but I still would
appreciate your input.

Major "sub-sections" of this patent are _widely_ used:

.) Browsers

.) Embedded objects

.) External executables

Some are far more invasive than just browsers and HTML documents.  The
entire Microsoft ActiveX/COM system is based on these ideas.

A technology must match how _much_ of this patent, in order to be
considered infringement?

For example, what if we use objects that do not directly occupy "real
estate" within the main document window?  (i.e. receive messages etc?)

Could we let Javascript control the main document, and only call
external Java functions for support (window-less applets)?
Would that work?
--
Reza