RE: Pei Wei's ViolaWWW project: Was it prior art?

From: <christopher.jauregui@syngenta.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:51:30 +0100
To: public-web-plugins@w3.org

Christian Gross wrote:
>I sure do hope this gets overturned by appeal.

I think it's something that has to happen, because other wise every plugin
writer [macromedia, adobe, etc.] will hurt big time.

Some of them have created large parts of their business [i.e. macromedia] on
the fact that the Flash plugin ships with IE4 onwards, and I suppose
Mozilla, etc. falls under this issue.

This could be one of those defining moments in US law. The patent holder
can't just sue MS and not Mozilla, etc. or else the owner could be done for
unfair trading practices, like MS was.

Damian.