W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-plugins@w3.org > September 2003

alternatives and migration scenarios

From: Michael Condouris <priority_one@amberdigital.com>
Date: 04 Sep 2003 01:59:06 -0400
To: W3C Public Web Plugins List <public-web-plugins@w3.org>
Message-Id: <1062655146.27896.13.camel@jughead>

Ok, I'm a flash developer and while I realize it's still early in this
mess, I want to start thinking about migrations to alternate
technologies.  Here's my thoughts on the matter, I'd love to see some

This assumes a worst-case scenario, wherein microsoft issues a "fix"
which breaks all pages containing plugins.

1.  Where flash is essentially the sole entity on a page (interactive
material / full flash sites), I'm assuming some workaround will probably
become available that allows the user to launch the flash player.  Fine.

2.  Where flash is used as navigation, I generally offer an alternative
text menu already so this should be a no-brainer.

3.  Where flash is used as decor, I would move to either animated gifs
(yech), static images, or perhaps SVG.

Which leads me to some questions.  If whoever's doing the FAQ is
reading, well, I don't know how frequent these are, but here goes.

1.  Is SVG implementable in a way which circumvents this patent?  I know
it *CAN* be implemented where the data is directly in the HTML document,
but I wonder if using a compressed mode would leave it liable.

2.  What about links to which open a separate application?  (i.e.,
opening an mp3 in winamp from browser)

3.  Would an implementation of flash, which included the binary within
the HTML code, circumvent the patent?  Basically this would be like an
email attachment but designed to play in some part of the screen.

4.  What timeline, if any, has been established for the appeals process
and the IE changes?

5.  What, if any, liability does a developer have, taking on new clients
with the knowledge of this decision?  It seems to be under the press'
radar for the time being, but eventually I fear legal departments are
going to start telling production departments to halt multimedia
production until a decision is reached.  I'd hate to see that happen.

Anyway, I'd love to see some thoughts on these topics.

Michael Condouris
Telephone: 973-857-7707
Received on Thursday, 4 September 2003 03:08:57 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 19:56:03 UTC