RE: 906 Patent Re-Examination

From: Jeff Handy <jeffh@bisk.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:19:05 -0500
To: <public-web-plugins@w3.org>

> Every person knows of someone who came up with the
> invention way before it was patented.  Does that make every
> one of those patents invalid?

I think the real problem here is "what" should be granted a patent.
Software is intellectual property.  The Patent system was never meant
for such a purpose.  Copyright doesn't offer enough protection.  My
point?  There should be a completely different, fair and valid system
for software engineering.  That protection agency could and should be
constructed by the government with the help of industry.  Without an
agency for our field, we're playing by a very old set of rules and
regulations that don't apply well.  Just IMO, of course.

HandyGeek