RE: Microsoft Patents Writing Windows Apps Using HTML

Hi TheoDP,

Looks like the Patent refers to HyperText Applications (HTA).

Microsoft has had this since early MSIE 5.0 days - but I guess the Patent
only just came through.

HTAs cannot be executed over the web without invoking a security prompt in
MSIE (this is by design), and the files are totally useless in any other
browser.

They're meant for executing from the desktop for either "Intranet" style web
applications or for utilizing Windows Script Host code locally.

They are "not" meant for general public consumption, and not likely an issue
you have to code around.

More information here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/hta/hta_n
ode_entry.asp?frame=true

Actually, the whole concept is pretty slick. I've built some HTA modules for
an Intranet before. It's very much like using HTML and Script to create
Desktop apps.

You can customize the HTA window's title bar, chrome and icon - just like a
Desktop app, and it never has to look like a browser window.

Many components and configuration dialogs in the newer Windows Oss are just
HTA files.

-----
Of course, some a**holes have produced malicious applications with HTA, so
never "OK" an HTA file you download from an unknown source.
-----

Hope this helps. Cheers......

Scott Cadillac,
XML-Extranet - http://xmlx.ca
403-281-6090 - scott@xmlx.ca
Well-formed Development
--
Extranet solutions using C# .NET, Witango, MSIE and XML