Re: Using preload for "async" CSS by changing `rel` trick

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 11:01:35 +0100
To: Chris Harrelson <chrishtr@chromium.org>
Cc: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com>, Ben Maurer <ben.maurer@gmail.com>, Philip Walton <philipwalton@google.com>, Royi Hagigi <royi@fb.com>, "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>
On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 9:05 PM, Chris Harrelson <chrishtr@chromium.org> wrote:
> Regarding style sheets: I think the spec / implementations should ensure
> that "loaded" style sheets always apply to the next frame drawn to the
> screen.

If you load the style sheet through <link rel=preload> and then
dynamically insert a <link rel=stylesheet> once the load event
dispatched on the rel=preload element, I don't think the load event
should dispatch synchronously on the rel=stylesheet variant and I'm
not even sure it should/can guarantee that the next frame is hit.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/