Re: Firefox and User Timing API in workers

On 6/2/15 1:18 PM, Ilya Grigorik wrote:
> As Jonas outlined, there are valid use cases for doing time accounting
> against both the parents timebase and own start time.

While true, the vast majority of uses of dedicated workers I've seen
align more closely with the "parent timebase" use cases...  That's what
led to the currently-implemented UA behavior.

> As such, I think you'd have to provide *some* branching logic when you're running within
> a worker..

I'm not sure what you mean here.

> That said, the distinction between dedicated vs shared seems
> redundant, at least as far as time accounting is concerned.

I think you're ignoring the fact that UAs have been shipping the
"dedicated workers use the timebase of the parent" behavior for a while now.

Do you have any evidence that the change you propose doesn't break
existing content?

> Is that coherent? :-)

It is, and if we were doing green-field design I could live with it.
But we're not; we're trying to post-facto specified something that has
been implemented and shipping for a while, but deliberately specifying
it incompatibly with implementations.

-Boris