Re: [minutes] 2015-01-14 Web Performance

Hi,

I was also present (albeit slightly late) in the call.

To document the image decoding timing use case:
I believe that a means to estimate the CPU/GPU time that are consumed by
image decoding could provide RUM insight to the cost of using one image
codec over another.
Having real-world data of decoding speeds vs. network download speeds
(provided by Resource Timing) would enable authors and CDNs to asses the
trade-off of using more network-efficient but slower-to-decode image
formats. Getting that data in the lab is hard, because decoding speeds can
vary significantly according to the device, and may change in real-world
conditions (e.g. weak battery).

Ideally, it would be great to have that decoding info provided for the
images embedded in the page without forcing the browser to do more work in
order to gather that data.
Failing that, a JS API that would enable to run such measurements on a
subset of users would be a good first step into understanding image
decoding times.