Re: add "networkDuration" to Resource Timing

Third-party support:
http://googledevelopers.blogspot.com/2013/12/measuring-network-performance-with.html
- I'd love to see a longer list. Reach out to your third party providers
and ask them to enable it.

"Unfortunately, duration is flawed since it includes the time the request
was blocked by another request or the rendering logic of the browser." --
rendering logic? The request dispatch *may* be delayed due to HoL blocking
on an http/1 connection, but rendering has no impact on this.

"Clearly the developers of the tools followed what seems logical from the
browser perspective; the Duration is the time from detecting the request to
finishing it. However, the end users of these tools often read it from
their perspective, i.e. how long it took for the URL to finish loading." -
you're using a narrow definition of "end user" as someone who is interested
in measuring their CDN performance... and DNS? Shouldn't you decouple those
two? What about measuring segmenting on cache perf time? End-to-end
protocol perf based on CDN support (in which case blocking should be
included)? I hope you see my point here... there isn't one, but many
different metrics here.

As we discussed earlier in this thread, "networkDuration" is misleading if
we include cache time, and if we don't then we're up against TAO
restrictions. The whole "add new attribute discussion" is a distraction:
there are many different metrics you should be measuring (and "duration" is
one of them) and UAs don't need to precompute all of these.. we simply need
to provide the raw data, which the current API already does..

----

(1) UA's should expose raw timing data - done.
(2) CDN's should provide easy "click here to add TAO header on proxied
requests".
(3) RUM solutions should gather raw data and allow developers to determine
what they care about.

ig