Re: Throttling requestAnimationFrame based on viewport visibility

From: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 16:49:16 -0700
To: Sami Kyostila <skyostil@google.com>
Cc: public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>
Hi Sami.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 7:15 AM, Sami Kyostila <skyostil@google.com> wrote:

> The obvious compatibility risk is breaking pages that rely on an
> out-of-view rAF to function. We're trying to avoid that by only
> throttling cross-origin iframes -- with the hope that since there's no
> synchronous way to observe rAF callbacks in those frames, sites are
> less likely to rely on their timing. Does that sound reasonable?

I think the best answer to this would be to watch for developer feedback on
Mozilla's implementation? :)

The motivation sounds reasonable, but it's hard to say what this might
break. Also, as you pointed out in [1] singling out raF is a bit
arbitrary.. curious to see what you'll learn from your experiments!

ig

[1]
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/_SRHebxivJs/5zMt9tLdCQAJ