Re: Support for page/resource size

If it can be clearly indicated whether something has come from cache, then
I think the implementation could react accordingly. Take the following
requests:

Request 1
 - Status = 200
 - Over-the-wire (size) = 7.2 KB
 - Actual (content) = 12.5 KB

Request 2
 - Status = 304
 - Over-the-wire (size) = 237 B
 - Actual (content) = 12.5 KB

Both requests are for the same resource, but the second one got a 304 from
the server and hence the "Over-the-wire" is just the size of the response
saying its a 304 (pretty much just headers).

This doesn't deal with the case where the browser reports a 200, but is
pulling it from the browser cache and hence never leaving the machine or if
we want to know what the original over-the-wire size was.

Hence, what is probably needed is the following (note, actual names
probably need to be worked on):

Request 1
 - Status = 200
 - Cached = No
 - Original Over-the-wire (size) = 7.2 KB
 - Over-the-wire (size) = 7.2 KB
 - Actual (content) = 12.5 KB

Request 2
 - Status = 304
 - Cached = Server
 - Original Over-the-wire (size) = 7.2 KB
 - Over-the-wire (size) = 237 B
 - Actual (content) = 12.5 KB

Request 3
 - Status = 200
 - Cached = Client
 - Original Over-the-wire (size) = 7.2 KB
 - Over-the-wire (size) = 0 B
 - Actual (content) = 12.5 KB

Additionally to this, there could be a collection of the headers that
matched the request/response, but I don't think that necessarily replaces
the above as the headers don't always indicate what the browser actually
did (i.e. did it actually get from private cache or not) or what the
"over-the-wire" size was vs the "Actual".

Lastly, one thing that I have been finding lacking from Resource
Timings/Timeline is a callback/event that one could tap to know when new
resources are loaded. At the moment, I am forced into what seem like hacks
to see when entries are added. It would be nice if there was a clear,
supported way to do this.

In terms of getting feedback from implementors to see what's possible, what
is needed for that (again I'm new to the process here). Additionally, since
this work has been discussed in the past but never really moved forward
(even with consensus) what is the best way to help it?

Cheers
Anthony