Re: [resource hints] preconnect, preload, prender

On 1/22/2014 3:09 PM, Ilya Grigorik wrote:
> FWIW, I think we should defer the connection counts to the UA. The
> actual (optimal) number of connections will vary based on client
> connection profile and available resources on the client.. Plus, most
> UAs have some form of a predictor which can remember optimal
> connection counts and hosts and use that information on repeat visits.

Hints here would actually be quite helpful - the UA could (probably will
in the case of Chrome) always treat preconnects as lower priority than
connections for known resources but if predictor history is available
then the need for preconnect hints basically goes away anyway.  Looking
at something like map tiles delivered based on js logic, it would be
pretty helpful to know to preconnect the max number of connections to
the tile server rather than just one.

Specifying the actual number of connections doesn't feel right though.
Optimally, a ballpark on the number of resources and their average size
would let the UA apply it's own heuristic (lots of small images vs a few
large items) but that's not terribly developer friendly.