Re: add "networkDuration" to Resource Timing

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Steve Souders <steve@souders.org> wrote:

> > I think the current definition of "duration" is correct
> I've never questioned that the definition of "duration" is incorrect.
> Instead, I'm suggesting that we add a new metric called something like
> "networkDuration".

Seems like there are two separate threads here then:
1) proposal to add 'network duration', which excludes blocking and cache
times... but should (for correctness) include redirect cases [a]? The
latter gets real tricky with cross-origin redirects.
2) exposing 'network duration' without TAO restriction.

I have a feeling (2) would be a really hard sell as we'd be exposing an
explicit cache vs. network fetch signal, and in effect circumvent current
TAO restrictions. As for (1), it's a computable metric... as such, we're
only talking about convenience - right?

ig

[a] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2014Nov/0040.html

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Patrick Meenan <pmeenan@webpagetest.org>
wrote:

> Hmm, WebPageTest may report "something" in the blocked time but I think
> it's always forced to -1 since I don't currently track it internally.  That
> said, it's not that hard to add and I'll see if I can get it in before the
> next HTTP Archive crawl.

Thanks Pat! Really curious to see the results...

ig