Re: Comments about lazyload & postpone

From: Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:45:56 +0900
To: public-web-perf@w3.org
(2013/09/26 14:12), Yoav Weiss wrote:
> One more question:
> * Will lazyload/postpone enable link element with a non-matching media
> attribute to avoid being loaded altogether?

I have been in discussions with some people trying to make SVG more
suitable for mapping where you load more detailed tiles as you zoom. The
tiles are represented by iframes that recursively include other iframes.

They are currently investigating the following approach:

* Add a 'zoom' media query (details to be fleshed out but basically
'width' and 'resolution' alone aren't sufficient)
* Allow using iframe elements directly in SVG (i.e. without wrapping in
foreignObject)
* Add a media attribute to iframe elements (necessary?)

The final step would then be to allow the postpone attribute to indicate
those zoomed-in tiles needn't be loaded initially if the zoom-level
doesn't match (but at the same time allowing UAs to pre-fetch tiles
whose zoom level is "close" to provide smoother zooming).

To that end perhaps the description of 'postpone' needs to be expanded
beyond just bounding box / display:none?

What do you think?

Best regards,

Brian