Re: [resource hints] preconnect, preload, prender

> Some questions/thoughts on the specifics:
> * Does <link rel="preconnect"> need a new attribute to indicate how
> many connections to open? Or would the author just include the tag
> multiple times if they want multiple connections?

I think we should (mostly) defer this to the UA.. Treating multiple <link
preconnect> tags as a hint that the UA should open multiple connections
could work, but that's not guaranteed. Case in point, with HTTP/2 on
horizon, you shouldn't need more than one connection anyway - e.g. if first
preconnect gets an upgrade to HTTP/2 or SPDY, then don't open others..
Alternatively, if you have past knowledge of this origin and number of
connections used, then use that information as well.

> * Does <link rel="preload"> do anything different than the <link
> rel="subresource">[1] that chrome already supports?

(1) It's "content aware". subresource has a single priority and that
priority is always below any resource initiated by the preloader or main
parser.
(2) it supports "resource for this page" vs "resource for future page" via
lazyload attribute (merges subresource + prefetch, and adds (1) to prefetch)

> * The part about prerendering things other than HTML is brilliant.
> Could it parse CSS and compile JS as well? If so, does it need a more
> general name?

Personally, calling "JS parse/compile" as "prerender" doesn't bother me
that much.. but yeah, might make sense to use a more generic name.

---

We can collapse dns-prefetch into preconnect. But as Tony mentions, there
> are different semantics associated with both. So we could keep them
> separate. I think it is better to keep all 5 hints (dns, connect, prefetch,
> subresource and prerender) - it gives developers maximum control.

We don't need to (can't, really) remove the old hints.. But moving forward,
I'd rather push developers to use pre{connect,load,render} hints instead,
as they would offer a more consistent interop with preloader and other
parser-initiated requests. Under the hood, all of these hints can/should
share a lot of the same code.

> But this is not the challenging part. I think the key issue raised by Ilya
> was to have each one of these hints a well defined behaviour. e.g. he says:
> When/how many prerenders may be triggered and when prerender is aborted

To clarify, I'm not asking for hard guarantees (the whole point is that
these are all hints and hence best effort), but I want to make sure that
the interop between hints and their behavior is specced and consistent
between different browsers.

Trivial example: today, it's possible to construct cases where <link
subresource> would actually hurt your performance - the resource is
downloaded with wrong priority, results in double downloads, etc.

On a similar note... <link prerender> does not work on Chrome mobile today
due to concerns over resource constraints. But, if that's the case, a much
better outcome would be to demote prerender to preload, or at least a
preconnect, then to skip the hint entirely. If multiple prerender hints are
present and there are not enough resources, then demote both to preload...
AFAIK, only Chrome supports dynamic hint add/remove, and so on...

ig