Re: [Beacon] spec feedback + few suggestions

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com> wrote:

> I’ve also opened Action 111: Determine appropriate size limit for beacon
> data based on current usage patterns [2] to help us determine what the
> right limit should be for beacon data transmissions and whether we should
> set a limit on number of beacons per page or rate at which beacons are
> transmitted. Ilya, you had mentioned that you were going to look at Google
> Analytics data to see what the common analytics package sizes are? That
> data will go a long way in helping us determine an appropriate limit.

After some back and forth with the GA team... "10KB per beacon limit is
sufficient for current GA needs". Unfortunately, the GA team has asked me
to not disclose the exact distribution, but based on the data I've seen,
10KB is in the right ballpark: it covers current use cases and provides
some margin for growth. That said, values below 10KB will begin to pose
problems pretty quickly.. So, it may be worth considering 10KB as a good
floor value.