Re: [Beacon] Review of current spec

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Chase Douglas <chase@newrelic.com> wrote:
>>
>> So you're proposing a different spec and api that would simply compress
>> data like:
>>
>> var zipped = window.compress('Please compress this string!');
>>
>> And zipped would be a Blob? That would definitely be handy if we could get
>> such a thing.
>
> Perhaps not that exact API, but the same end result, yes. :-)
>
> This would benefit XHR and WebSocket, give us ability to compress data to
> store locally (e.g. for offline use), and more..

Mozilla has proposed APIs to enable this. However so far it's gotten
relatively little interest since it's something that is already
possible using a JS-library.

First step to moving forward here is likely to get other browser
vendors interested. One good way of doing that is likely to get
performance data on a native vs. JS implementation.

If done, it's definitely something that belongs in the webapps WG.
Sysapps is mainly for APIs which need different security policies,
which is not the case here.

/ Jonas