RE: [Beacon] spec feedback + few suggestions

From: Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 23:27:18 +0000
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: Chase Douglas <chase@newrelic.com>, Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com>, "Austin, Daniel" <daaustin@paypal.com>, public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>
On Thur, Nov 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> Actually, if we want to add a timeout argument in the future (after which the beacon is dropped on the floor)
> that would also be a reason to make the last argument a dictionary for now.

What's the use case with timeouts? Will I wait for the timeout period, somehow check if the beacon was not received by the server, and try again? If that's the use case, then we may have given developers a reason to continue to delay the onload by checking if the beacon was not sent and retrying. If our goal is to design a fire and forget way to send data, this may cause problems.