Re: navigationStart in NavigationTiming

Btw if you could also test http://cnn.com, and make sure navigationStart !=
fetchStart, that would be great. This is an example of cross origin
redirect, and even here, navigationStart should be the time before the
redirect is initiated even though redirectStart would show 0.

For Chrome, it works.

Arvind

On 5/1/13 2:20 PM, Jatinder Mann wrote:

> I ran the same scenario in IE10 and got the following numbers, where
> navigationStart != fetchStart and navigationStart < redirectStart.

Note that you also see nonzero unloadEventStart (and navigationStart ==
unloadEventStart), so you're not testing the case under discussion here,
looks like.  It's worth actually testing that case, I'd think.

That said, using the "opened http://en.wikipedia.org link from
http://www.wikipedia.org in a new tab via context menu" test, what I see in
Firefox is:

navigationStart:1367432904453
unloadEventStart:0
unloadEventEnd:0
redirectStart:1367432904453
redirectEnd:1367432904540
fetchStart:1367432904540
domainLookupStart:**1367432904542
domainLookupEnd:1367432904542
connectStart:1367432904540
connectEnd:1367432904540
requestStart:1367432904542
responseStart:1367432904574
responseEnd:1367432904606
domLoading:1367432904577
domInteractive:1367432905303
domContentLoadedEventStart:**1367432905303
domContentLoadedEventEnd:**1367432905304
domComplete:1367432905467
loadEventStart:1367432905467
loadEventEnd:1367432905468

So navigationStart < fetchStart but navigationStart == redirectStart. That
seems at first glance to agree with Chrome's numbers, if I'm reading those
right.

In either case, I agree that the spec's current language makes no sense in
the presence of redirects.