Re: ResourceTiming API & byte-size

In yesterday's meeting I saw that byte-size was mentioned, and james is
opposed to adding that value:
"I feel that the interface should only include novel information that isn't
easily available today. The server serving the resources already knows the
size of the images."

Image size is often *not* easily available to the server's logic (e.g.
mod_pagespeed automatically optimized images, and as far as the server
logic is concerned, it is a lower layer)
Image size information would enable:
* Creating full fledged waterfall charts in the browser
* Possibly estimating bandwidth [1] in JS, which can bring in much more
people to solve the bandwidth estimation problem.

I agree that at least in some cases these applications can be done by
having the server send over a manifest that includes a resource size map,
but that is not always the case, a

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0086.html