Re: FW: Beacon API

From: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:26:48 -0800
To: Arvind Jain <arvind@google.com>
Cc: Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>, "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>, "Reitbauer, Alois (Alois.Reitbauer@compuware.com)" <Alois.Reitbauer@compuware.com>
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Arvind Jain <arvind@google.com> wrote:

> Are there other use cases besides Analytics?

If we extend the use cases to allow callbacks (but only if the page is
still live), then we can also solve the poll-for-update problem: multiple
background tabs or apps polling for updates.. If each marks the request
with this new flag, then the browser can aggregate these requests and issue
them in bulk (let's say every X seconds), which can help reduce use of the
radio on mobile networks + save battery power.

ig