Re: FW: Beacon API

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:55:13 -0800
To: Arvind Jain <arvind@google.com>
Cc: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com>, Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>, "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>, "Reitbauer, Alois (Alois.Reitbauer@compuware.com)" <Alois.Reitbauer@compuware.com>
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Arvind Jain <arvind@google.com> wrote:
> Are there other use cases besides Analytics? Anne's comment about <a ping>
> is interesting. I think the fact that it could be disabled makes it
> unreliable enough to be used by web publishers - something to keep in mind
> for this new API.

I don't think the fact that it can be disabled would result in
developers not using it.

Most users never change the default settings, and taking a small loss
in the number of users that the feature would work for, could easily
be outweighed if the feature provides performance advantages.

Now, what defaults browsers choose does of course have a big effect.
See the recent DNT debacle for example. We would have to make sure
that a Beacon API doesn't end up disabled by default in any browsers.

/ Jonas