Re: requestAnimationFrame behavior on display:none iframes

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 19:45:45 -0500
To: Nat Duca <nduca@chromium.org>
Cc: public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>
> Should requestAnimationFrame tick on display:none iframes?
>
> A simple test:
> http://www.jankfree.com/raf/iframes_and_visibility_when_hidden.html
>
> FF and Chrome differ:
> -  FF doesn't tick
> - Webkit does
>
> Not sure what IE does.
>
> And, what do we think is "correct"?

Just to make sure we're closing the loop here. Section 5 of the
processing model [1] indicates that if the context is not visible
(hidden is true), no callback happens.
See also the response from James in
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2012Oct/0033.html

So, if display:none is on the iframe, I would expect that no callback
happens.

It's not clear if we have a proper test for your case however. I'll try
to make sure we have one during our CR phase.

Philippe

[1]
http://w3c-test.org/webperf/specs/RequestAnimationFrame/#processingmodel