Re: detecting connection speed

From: Nic Jansma <nic@nicj.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:36:39 -0500
To: "Reitbauer, Alois" <Alois.Reitbauer@compuware.com>, Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws>, James Graham <james@hoppipolla.co.uk>
CC: public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>
One of the reasons ResourceTiming v1 didn't expose bytes transferred was
due to cross-origin security concerns, eg. detecting if a user had
already downloaded a known image from a separate site mybank.com.  I
would assume that is still a security concern, and it may limit the
usefulness for some of the use-cases presented if they involve other
origins.

I hadn't seen cross-origin limitations brought up, so I wanted to make
sure everyone that was discussing this was aware of the issue.

Here's a thread from last year that discussed byte-size a bit:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2013Jan/0000.html

- Nic
http://nicj.net/
@NicJ