RE: Byte size in *Timing (Was: detecting connection speed)

It would also be interesting to compare bytes seen by the browser to bytes sent logged at the origin to help identify content modification along the way to the client.

-----Original Message-----
From: Philippe Le Hegaret [mailto:plh@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 2:54 PM
To: Ilya Grigorik
Cc: Jatinder Mann; public-web-perf@w3.org
Subject: Byte size in *Timing (Was: detecting connection speed)

On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 15:04 -0800, Ilya Grigorik wrote:

> There have been multiple requests in the past to expose the "bytes
> transferred" as part of Nav/Resource Timing API. While this is not a
> panacea, I do think it would be valuable and could address a lot of
> use cases we're discussing here... Or, to be more precise, give the
> developers the basic primitive to then build up their own abstractions
> to drive BW-estimation and similar use cases.

Btw, this came up again on the table during our f2f on Resource Timing
L2 [1]. I added a note about it in our dashboard after that [2]. So, while we're not good at having a clear list of features we're considering for .next, this one is definitively in it. Now, I don't believe we considered it for Nav Timing yet.

Philippe

[1] http://www.w3.org/2013/11/14-webperf-minutes.html#item08

[2] http://www.w3.org/wiki/Web_Performance/Publications