Re: detecting connection speed

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM, James Graham <james@hoppipolla.co.uk>wrote:

> On 04/12/13 23:04, Ilya Grigorik wrote:
>
>> Somewhat of a tangent...
>>
>> There have been multiple requests in the past to expose the "bytes
>> transferred" as part of Nav/Resource Timing API. While this is not a
>> panacea, I do think it would be valuable and could address a lot of use
>> cases we're discussing here...
>>

> What use cases? I haven't actually seen a list of use cases people want
> solved anywhere in this thread yet. Without that it is impossible to tell
> if any particular API would be valuable or not.

I've previously raised it on the list [1]. The main use-case I see for that
is enabling RUM solutions to detect compression issues along the path, with
the side-effect of enabling authors to experiment with client-side
effective-bandwidth detection strategies.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2013Jan/0000.html