Re: detecting connection speed

From: James Graham <james@hoppipolla.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:11:16 +0000
To: public-web-perf@w3.org
On 04/12/13 19:44, Aaron Heady (BING AVAILABILITY) wrote:

> In my experience, determining it on a per request basis just has too
> much variance. Maybe if the UA kept its own set of statistics on a
> per origin IP + current default gateway basis and knew that it was
> generally good or bad for a given connection pair then it could pass
> that hint along, maybe include a confidence hint with it (fast last
> 99 of 100 connections). If that mobile device thinks it is always
> fast to an IP given its current proxy, then it most likely is.

So, I don't know exactly how it worked but Opera trie[s|d] to do
something like this to hint at when the "turbo" compression feature
should be enabled. In my experience it wasn't exactly reliable; I don't
think I was alone in getting the "slow connection" popup when I knew
perfectly well that I wasn't on a slow connection at all.