Re: [RequestAnimationFrame] Accuracy of timeouts

On Tue, 2013-01-15 at 15:11 +0100, Ruben Arslan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The draft currently focuses on improving the smoothness of animations, but the general title suggests that other aspects of timing control may also be in scope.

The draft doesn't focus on improving smoothness but allow the user agent
to control the update rate of a script-based animations.

> I understand that most people care about smoothness, but there are also use cases where it's more important to precisely control the duration (in my case the duration an image is visible in a reaction time study http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14323792/control-and-measure-precisely-how-long-an-image-is-displayed).
>
> Am I correct in my understanding that requestAnimationFrame does not add anything in that regard?

RAF doesn't control the duration either so you're correct that it
doesn't do anything for your use case.

> Is this considered a non-issue or is it more something for the performance timeline/user timing specs?

This issue didn't really come up in our radar yet and I don't think
performance timeline or user timings would help here. Unless someone
picks this up in the Group, I don't think we'll make progress.

Philippe