Re: [minutes] 2012-09-12 Web Performance WG Teleconference #81

From: Sigbjørn Vik <sigbjorn@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:43:31 +0200
To: "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>, "Paul Bakaus" <pbakaus@zynga.com>, "Tobie Langel" <tobie@fb.com>
On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 02:17:40 +0200, Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Meeting Summary:
> James: We would love to expose to web developers the frame rate from the
> browser. We are very excited to do this.

FYI: There is a method to read (.currentfps) and set (.targetfps)
framerate for SVG in Opera. Something similar could be considered
specified and exposed elsewhere.
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/presto-2-2-and-opera-10-a-first-look/#fps

> Paul: Another thing we want is to trigger garbage collection. If there
> was an event that got trigged when a GC is occuring, so that the app can
> handle that occurrence. Another things is we want to be able to turn off
> GC entirely.

FYI: Exposing a manual trigger for GC is simple, and there is already a
method to do this in Opera. The advice on how to use it is very simple;
don't! However, for testing purposes or in order to understand the
performance characteristics, this method might be helpful. You might want
to play with this to see if and how much manual GC helps.
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/operaStuff/operaObject.html -> opera.collect

--
Sigbjørn Vik
Core Quality Services