Re: [minutes] 2012-10-10 Web Performance WG Teleconference #84

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 15:51:32 -0400
To: public-web-perf@w3.org
On 10/11/12 3:39 PM, Jatinder Mann wrote:
> I'm glad the spec is very precise on this point and that it defines the more efficient option.

The problem is that this option requires different behavior for
requestAnimationFrame and declarative animation events, as far as I can
tell.

Keeping those in sync with each other is why Firefox has the behavior it
does.

Note that the difference in efficiency between "never fire" and "fire
many seconds apart" is very very low in practice, so I don't think the
efficiency argument is particularly strong.

Now maybe declarative animation events should _also_ not fire in
background tabs.  I would be a lot happier with that than in having
requestAnimationFrame get out of sync with declarative animations.