Re: [NavigationTiming2] Comments and questions about the Navigation Timing 2 draft

From: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 19:33:14 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: public-web-perf@w3.org
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> +1 for exposing time to first paint in NavTiming!
>>

> Only if "first paint" is actually defined in a sane way.

Boris, could you elaborate on this?

As Mike mentioned, Chrome provides first paint time, and I believe IE does
as well.. Looking at the Chrome source, it looks to be the "literal" first
paint:
http://code.google.com/searchframe#OAMlx_jo-ck/src/content/public/renderer/document_state.h&exact_package=chromium&type=cs&l=105

Is that a reasonable definition. If not, why not?

Ilya