Re: Web Performance: Survey and Workshop - We'd like your input!

From: Paul Bakaus <pbakaus@zynga.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:32:10 +0000
To: "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>
On 10.10.12 10:44, "Reitbauer, Alois" <Alois.Reitbauer@compuware.com>

>I see this exactly the same way. It will be a feature that requires the
>user to accept that this information gets collected or it will be enables
>by default using a browser flag - this will be useful for testing. I will
>put a proposal together for the upcoming workshop.
>I already asked Tobie to work together. Paul you are more than welcome

Yep, happy to join the effort!

After giving this more thought, I came to the conclusion that there are
all sorts of APIs that were blocked by fingerprinting concerns in the
past, so I wonder if we shouldn't just design a general sort of
domain-based notification prompt (like geolocation), saying something like:

"The current page requests access to advanced functionality that could
potentially be used to track your identity. Do you want to allow this?"

At this point, every API that sits behind the fingerprinting firewall
would be unblocked.