Re: [Resource Timing] Handling duplicate requests

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:02:27 -0800
To: public-web-perf@w3.org
On 11/13/12 10:56 AM, James Simonsen wrote:
> Good point. We have two cases then for the same-document scenario:
>
> 1a. Requests are coalesced into one.
> 1b. Multiple requests are issued.
>
> Seems for a single document, there should be a 1:1 correlation between
> Resource Timing entries and network requests.

Assmuing "network requests" can include things that come from a network
cache of some sort (a cache that returns bytes, not objects), I mostly
agree.

There's various other complexity here, though, as caches get smarter.
For example, what happens if your document thinks it's making multiple
network requests but there's a cache that knows to not only return the
same bytes but also caches an object representation of some sort in a
persistent fashion (think compiled bytecode for a script) and can return
that as needed?

What are we really trying to measure here?