Re: [Resource Timing] Handling duplicate requests

On 11/12/12 8:51 PM, James Simonsen wrote:
> My question is what to do in situations where multiple objects are
> requesting the same resource.

It depends on the exact requesters and their caching and result-sharing
semantics, no?

> 1. The easier case is when two requesters are in the same document.

Again, it depends on what the context for the requests is.

> In case #1, I think it's clear the first one should "win" and the second
> request is ignored.

I don't see why that's clear.  Both requests might hit the network,
depending on what else is going on.

> Otherwise, technically, the second requester is waiting for the resource
> "to be fetched from the networking layer."

So this is for cases when the loads are coalesced with each other onto a
single network load, right?  I agree this case might want clarification.

> Another option would just be to show the time spent waiting in each
> phase. So if the DNS lookup occurred before the second document started
> fetching, that'd be 0, but the rest of the fields would be populated.

This seems like a promising approach to me, yes.