Re: [Page Visibility] Navigate away behavior (was RE: TPAC 2011 Web Performance WG 2011-11-01)

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 13:41:21 -0400
To: Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>
CC: "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>
On 5/22/12 1:36 PM, Jatinder Mann wrote:
> That's a good point. Do you know which HTML5 spec hooks I should reference?

I think just saying that the state is updated immediately before or
after firing the relevant events (from the same task) should be fine.

>> 4) The event firing for the "unloading document visibility change steps"
>> should not be restricted to the unloading of top-level documents, imo:
>> if a subframe document is unloaded its visibility should change to hidden.
>
> As we had previously discussed, we wanted to limit iframe visibility to match that of the top level browsing context in this version of the spec

The problem is that unloaded documents may no longer be connected to any
browsing context at all.

We already have documents whose visibility doesn't depend on the
toplevel browsing context in the spec (XHR responseXML, for example).
Unloaded documents are in a very similar situation.

I don't see what scrolling and whatnot has to do with any of that: the
unloaded case is special because the link to the browsing context gets
severed.

-Boris