Re: IETC tests for PageVisibility

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Karen Anderson (IE)
<Karen.Anderson@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Yes.  Unfortunately, the Testing Center is only updated at the same schedule as public available builds.  So, the next opportunity will be Beta (soon).  I will make sure it's on that wave.
>
> On a side note...when we published Navigation Timing tests, from what I can tell they have always been non-vendor prefixed.  It seems that all implementations of Page Visibility currently are prefixed...how do we want to handle this?  The main test harness does not do a lookup, but I think that would be a valuable addition.  For example, in NT's wp_test function where the namespace is checked, we could have a similar function that checks document.visibilityState, and if undefined, then iterates over webkit, moz, o, and ms.

Up to you about the way to handle this on IETC, but when we discussed
this previously we came to the conclusion that W3C tests should not
pass for vendor prefixed implementations. A vendor-prefixed
implementation, even if otherwise compliant, is not fully
interoperable. That being said, it is useful to structure the tests in
such a way that it is simple to modify one line to get them to
recognize the prefixed implementation. That allows us browser
developers to use them while the interface is still under development.

For bonus points, we could structure the tests to recognize the
vendor-prefixed implementations, perform all of the tests (instead of
failing fast), and output FAIL for each with a note in the error
message that it would pass except for the prefix.