W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-perf@w3.org > February 2012

[minutes] 2012-02-01 Web Performance WG Teleconference #60

From: Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 18:30:02 +0000
To: "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>
Message-ID: <EE4C13A1D11CFA49A58343DE361B0B0413709A92@TK5EX14MBXC252.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
Meeting Summary:



1.      Navigation Timing to PR

a.       ACTION-68: Write document.readyState test case to check impact to Navigation Timing

There is one last remaining action item for the Navigation Timing specification. Karen will be submitting the test case for review.



2.      Resource Timing to CR

a.       ACTION-55 needs to be closed

Jatinder is working on closing ACTION-55 prior to moving this spec to CR.



3.      Performance Timeline to CR

a.       ACTION-63 needs to be closed

Jatinder is working on closing ACTION-63 prior to moving this spec to CR.



b.       High Resolution Time Spec

Jatinder is working on a High Resolution Time spec that would replace the simple definition of the time base currently found in the Performance Timeline spec.



4.      Page Visibility to CR

a.       Page Visibility LC Feedback

The working group has reviewed the Page Visibility LC feedback:



* hidden attribute (from Anne)

Rejected. The argument is that the hidden attribute on Document is potentially confusing with the hidden attribute existing on all HTML elements. However, both editors feel that since the concept is the same for both types of hidden attributes, one applies to the visibility of the Document and the other to the visibility of HTML elements, the attribute name should remain as is.



* partial interface (from Anne)

Accepted. The interface will be updated. ACTION-80 Add partial interface on Page Visibility.



* privacy? (from Anne)

Accepted. A privacy section will be added. ACTION-81 Propose a privacy section for Page Visibility.



* ASCII (from timeless)

Accepted. Section 4.4 Vendor Prefix, https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/PageVisibility/Overview.html#sec-vendor-prefix, has already been updated to require vendor prefix names to be in ASCII.



* Are visibility change events synchronous? (from Boris)

Accepted. The spec has already been updated to include this feedback.



* Need to define interaction with page navigation (from Boris)

The working group had discussed firing the visibilitychange event with the same task as the unload event. The remaining question is whether the visibilitychange event should synchronously fire before or after the unload event.



b.       Page Visibility Test Suite

Karen has submitted an updated Page Visibility test suite reflecting the current specification status.



5.      requestAnimationFrame to CR

a.       Closing requestAnimationFrame spec issues.

There are three requestAnimationFrame issues that have been discussed and agreed upon in the working group, however, we still need spec updates to be made from the editors. Arvind will follow up with James.



6.      HAR Format Specification and Rechartering WG

Arvind will follow up and find out what the spec status is for the HAR format spec.




Detailed Notes:



Web Perf Teleconference #60 2/01/2012



IRC log: http://www.w3.org/2012/02/01-webperf-irc


Meeting Minutes: http://www.w3.org/2012/02/01-webperf-minutes.html



Attendees

Present for Navigation Timing, Resource Timing and User Timing (4-5PM EST/1-2PM PST)

Philippe Le Hegaret, Jatinder Mann, Arvind Jain, Karen Anderson, Tony Gentilcore


Present for Page Visibility, Efficient Script Yielding, Display Paint Notifications (4-5PM EST/2-3PM PST)

Meeting cancelled.



Scribe

Jatinder Mann



Contents

Agenda

1.       Discuss all status of all specifications



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Plh: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2012Jan/0043.html

Status of Web Perf WG Specifications

Jatinder: Navigation Timing has one last test update - Karen had been working on the document readiness test case. She feels she is ready to push that out today. Karen, can you pelase give an updatE?

Karen: I am working on a prototype for the document readiness test case. I should have something out today. I also discussed the issue about the sleep mechanisms for unload timelines. I think we are fine with James change.

[10:15] <plh> action-20?

[10:15]  * trackbot getting information on ACTION-20

[10:15] <trackbot> ACTION-20 -- Tony Gentilcore to investigate tests around no previous document scenarios -- due 2011-04-20 -- PENDINGREVIEW

[10:15] <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/20

[10:15] <plh> close action-20

[10:15]  * trackbot attempting to close ACTION-20.

[10:15] <trackbot> ACTION-20 Investigate tests around no previous document scenarios closed

[10:15] <plh> action-21?

[10:15]  * trackbot getting information on ACTION-21

[10:15] <trackbot> ACTION-21 -- Karen Anderson to update the page reload test to update the timings -- due 2012-01-04 -- PENDINGREVIEW

[10:15] <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/21

[10:15] <plh> close action-21

[10:15]  * trackbot attempting to close ACTION-21.

[10:15] <trackbot> ACTION-21 Update the page reload test to update the timings closed

[10:15] <plh> action-75?

[10:15]  * trackbot getting information on ACTION-75

[10:15] <trackbot> ACTION-75 -- Karen Anderson to navigationTiming: Create new test containing onbeforeunload event -- due 2012-01-05 -- PENDINGREVIEW

[10:15] <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/75

[10:16] <plh> close action-75

[10:16]  * trackbot attempting to close ACTION-75.

[10:16] <trackbot> ACTION-75 NavigationTiming: Create new test containing onbeforeunload event closed

[10:17] <plh> close action-56

[10:17]  * trackbot attempting to close ACTION-56.

[10:17] <trackbot> ACTION-56 Add Object test case for Navigation Timing closed

Jatinder: Action-68 is the last remaining action item. Karen is working on that one right now.

Arvind: Karen, please send email after you complete Action-68 is complete so PLH can take the next steps.

PLH: Btw, WebIDL is doing another last call next week and then they expect to move to CR.

Arvind: Resource Timing updates?

Jatinder: I have two action items left on this one. The security/privacy section and a reference to the High Resolution Time spec.

[10:24] <plh> ACTION: plh to create a publication status page

[10:24]  * trackbot noticed an ACTION. Trying to create it.

[10:24]  * RRSAgent records action 1

[10:24] <trackbot> Created ACTION-78 - Create a publication status page [on Philippe Le Hégaret - due 2012-02-08].

Karen: Do we have a page that shows the current spec statuses?

plh: Good point, I'll add a page.

http://www.w3.org/2012/01/visibility-lc-issues.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2011Jul/0089.html

Jatinder: Anne had feedback on the hidden attribute - he wants to call it isVisible.

Karen: There is also an argument that you would do work when something is hidden.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/states-of-the-type-attribute.html#hidden-state

plh: The issues is that there is a hidden concept with HTML attributes.

Arvind: But the hidden state concept of the HTML attribtue does match the hidden state concept of the document. I think they should stay the same.

Arvind: Jatinder can you respond to Anne?

Jatinder: Yes. I agree that they are talking about the same concept, the names should be the same.

Partial Interface

Jatinder: I need to make an update here.

[10:37] <plh> ACTION: Jatinder to reply to Anne on our use of the hidden attribute

[10:37]  * RRSAgent records action 2

[10:37]  * trackbot noticed an ACTION. Trying to create it.

[10:37] <trackbot> Created ACTION-79 - Reply to Anne on our use of the hidden attribute [on Jatinder Mann - due 2012-02-08].

[10:37] <plh> ACTION: Jatinder to add partial interface on Page Visibility

[10:37]  * trackbot noticed an ACTION. Trying to create it.

[10:37]  * RRSAgent records action 3

[10:37] <trackbot> Created ACTION-80 - Add partial interface on Page Visibility [on Jatinder Mann - due 2012-02-08].

[10:38] <plh> ACTION: Arvind to propose a privacy section for Page Visibility

[10:38]  * trackbot noticed an ACTION. Trying to create it.

[10:38]  * RRSAgent records action 4

[10:38] <trackbot> Created ACTION-81 - Propose a privacy section for Page Visibility [on Arvind Jain - due 2012-02-08].

TonyG: http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html

Jatinder: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2011Nov/0021.html

Plh: http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-body-element.html#the-body-element

Plh: http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/history.html#event-pagehide

Plh: http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/history.html#event-pageshow

[10:42] <plh> ACTION: Jatinder to reject the X_PAGE_VISIBILITY proposal

[10:42]  * trackbot noticed an ACTION. Trying to create it.

[10:42]  * RRSAgent records action 5

[10:42] <trackbot> Created ACTION-82 - Reject the X_PAGE_VISIBILITY proposal [on Jatinder Mann - due 2012-02-08].

[10:44] <plh> ACTION: Jatinder to reply Michael Baynton on idleness

[10:44]  * trackbot noticed an ACTION. Trying to create it.

[10:44]  * RRSAgent records action 6

[10:44] <trackbot> Created ACTION-83 - Reply Michael Baynton on idleness [on Jatinder Mann - due 2012-02-08].

[10:45] <plh> ACTION: Jatinder to reply to Sigbjorn on Page Visibility edits

[10:45]  * RRSAgent records action 7

[10:45]  * trackbot noticed an ACTION. Trying to create it.

[10:45] <trackbot> Created ACTION-84 - Reply to Sigbjorn on Page Visibility edits [on Jatinder Mann - due 2012-02-08].

Jatinder: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2011Nov/0018.html

Jatinder: I believe we discussed this at TPAC. I'll look at the minutes.

Arvind: We can add data on pageshow and pagehide.

[10:53] <plh> ACTION: plh to update the Navigation Timing test suite page

[10:53]  * RRSAgent records action 8

[10:53]  * trackbot noticed an ACTION. Trying to create it.

[10:53] <trackbot> Created ACTION-85 - Update the Navigation Timing test suite page [on Philippe Le Hégaret - due 2012-02-08].

plh: https://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/issues/raised

Karen: I updated the Page Visibility test suite. Please review.

Jatinder: Arvind, any updates to the HAR spec?

Arvind: Yes, I will ping the author.

Jatinder: I think once we have a draft, we should begin talking about charter updates to include this spec into the Web Perf WG.

[10:57] <plh> action-72?

[10:57]  * trackbot getting information on ACTION-72

[10:57] <trackbot> ACTION-72 -- Arvind Jain to propose use cases for a Memory Leaking and CPU Data API -- due 2011-11-16 -- OPEN

[10:57] <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/72

[10:58] <plh> action-70?

[10:58]  * trackbot getting information on ACTION-70

[10:58] <trackbot> ACTION-70 -- Jatinder Mann to share proposed Background Activity specification -- due 2011-11-16 -- OPEN

[10:58] <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/70

[10:58] <plh> action-73?

[10:58]  * trackbot getting information on ACTION-73

[10:58] <trackbot> ACTION-73 -- Jason Weber to propose ideas on improving sending data prior to unload -- due 2011-11-16 -- OPEN

[10:58] <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/73

 [10:59] <plh> Tony?

[10:59] <plh> action-50?

[10:59]  * trackbot getting information on ACTION-50

[10:59] <trackbot> ACTION-50 -- Tony Gentilcore to draft a mail and circulate with the Web Perf mailling list that we can share with other mailing lists. -- due 2011-09-21 -- OPEN

http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/50

Plh: did you ever get around this one?
Received on Thursday, 2 February 2012 18:31:10 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 2 February 2012 18:31:10 GMT